After a long weekend and previously short work-week, I came into the office this morning, latte in hand, ready for a ton of emails and voicemails to get back to and loads of work. Of course I ignored the fact that I haven’t received an office email all weekend except for a rather weird one asking if anyone was in, on Thanksgiving no less…I was after all home, where cell phonage is sporadic at best. But, upon sitting at my desk, I found that nothing was working. No emails, no programs, not even the internet. What’s a girl to do?

At first I thought that it was of course my computer and I tried restarting, but to no avail. Then, since it was rather early in the morning I took out my book and started reading at my desk. It felt weird, but seriously, how am I to do any work when the whole server is down? So, I sipped my latte and read a few pages of my book, that I truly had thought I would have finished over the holiday weekend so I could write about it and loan it to a friend. Alas, I ended up being busier than I thought I would be. Not a big deal, it will be finished by the end of this week and if not, then on my train ride to and from Philly where I will be partying with my girlfriends. Then I will start on my Vogue :).

After a bit I realized that this network problem would take longer to resolve than I had at first anticipated, so, I decided to grab my gear and make a run for the gym. Nothing like a good workout early in the day (I usually prefer gyming early anyway; there’s no crowd and you can actually get a good workout in). Also, I hadn’t been to the gym in two weeks because last week was shortened and the week prior to that I was out of commission with a sinus infection.

I walked over to the gym, which is really just on the other side of Third Avenue and half a block north. After changing and filling up my water bottle with, to my disappointment was warm water out of the fountain, I set off for the treadmills. Now, I injured my knee in the middle of January and sillily kept working out on it for six months until finally going to the doctor to have it checked out, so I can’t run on the treadmill, but I can power-walk…well sort of.

I got onto the treadmill and started walking and soon realized that my knee wasn’t bothering me today. I decided to speed-walk for three miles, call it a day and go back to the gym tomorrow to hit the weights. I ended up doing only half a mile less than my goal which was good, and my knee still was okay, but I, myself was exhausted.

I took my time showering and going back to the office and the network still was down, which at that point was just frustrating. What is the point of being at work if I can’t get anything done? I decided to confer with one of my friends (the one who is waiting for my book) and sat in his office for a good twenty minutes before making myself a cup of tea and trudging back to my desk in hopes that the status of my computer would have changed. I tried opening on program…and it worked, so I tried another and another. They all worked and the internet works again too. My email is still down though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s